Tuesday, February 26, 2008

What do you take to Paradise?

You take as little as possible of course. No sense in cluttering up your new life with old baggage.

If you are planning to set up house and live with some of the comforts of home in Costa Rica, there are certain things that you might consider bringing with you from home. They're the things that you can’t get in Costa Rica or would cost you bundles if you were to buy them there. If you choose to travel light and go native, that’s wonderful. We’re a little apprehensive about our move, so we’re bringing a few things with us that will most likely max out our airline luggage allowance.

Lotions and Potions

For example, I have very fair skin and sun protection is a must for me. SPF 1000 is usually adequate. Well, an exageration, but I know from experience that the "good stuff " that gives me full-spectrum high SPF protection is hard to come by in Costa Rica. Most Ticos have darker complexions than I so there is not much of a market for super sunscreen except for to tourists. Need I say anything more than, "Cha-ching!?" On the rare occasion that I do find brands like Neutrogena or Aveeno, they tend to be very expensive, so I’m bringing my lotions and potions with me. Lots of them. All in checked baggage as personal items.

Low-Voltage Lighting

This tip came from a neighbor of ours in Costa Rica. He says you simply can’t get low voltage lighting in Costa Rica. I don’t know if it’s true, but we are bringing our own path lighting and garden lights.

Linen & Things

Soft, cuddly cotton or bamboo sheets with high thread counts and plush towels are hard to come by in Costa Rica. Although, per my aunt who lives in San Jose, you can get them, but they are expensive.

Ladies Clothes

My cousin, a Costa Rican citizen who has lived in Costa Rica almost all her life, says that the quality of clothes there is poor. I don’t know if that is true anymore with advances in global economy. Clothing sold everywhere seems to be manufactured everywhere else. The new Central American Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA) might also contribute to leveling of the playing field. Never the less, my cousin and aunt come to the US every couple of years to load up their suitcases with clothing.

One thing I do know for sure is that Ticas are built differently than Americans. On average, they tend to be more petite and less broad. Some of our American neighbors in Costa Rica admit that they can’t find larger women’s clothing sizes there.

Imagine going to a country that you can’t shop for clothes in! Personally, I’m looking forward to it. Less consumer distraction means more real living. However, I am not petite, so I am taking precautions and will be stuffing in as many clothes as can into my suitcase.

No comments: