Monday, February 18, 2008

The Beginning - About this Blog

Welcome to my very first blog post ever! My hope is to entertain and inspire as I take a leap into the unknown.

I was born in Puntarenas, Costa Rica forty-one years ago. My parents were passing through on a sailboat, but not before they had the foresight to secure my citizenship as a tiny baby in this beautiful country. I’ve never lived in my birth country, but I am about to complete the full circle.

My husband and I plan live and one day retire in Costa Rica. The focus of this blog is sharing my tales of Costa Rica - trying to get there, building a home there and living a happy life along the way. Stay tuned for the ride. It’s sure to be a wild one.

Sharing snippets of my life in Costa Rica

This adventure will begin in March 2007. My husband and I will leave lucrative jobs in the United States for almost nil income in Costa Rica, all for the dream of Pura Vida or “pure life” there. It sounds a little crazy, but we’ve met many wonderfully interesting people in Costa Rica who have already made this life changing move and we would like to join them.

Along with another couple, we own a piece of land and two little cabins over looking the sea. They are located on the sunny slopes of Escaleras near Dominical, Costa Rica. We will begin our first two-month stint of actually living and working in 500 square foot cabins, while finishing them. I can already share adventures about our experiences constructing these cabins, but I’ll save it for a blog on Costa Rican construction one day.

Solrisa is the name of the community that we are building. It’s a name that my husband and I came up with in our dining room in Seattle after months of careful thought. It merges the Spanish word for sun, sol, with the word for laughter, risa. Think of us as living under the laughing sun of Costa Rica. We hope it makes you smile.

I’ve always been passionately interested in gardening. During these first few months I hope to plant the seeds of a beautifully landscaped tropical paradise worthy of a few relaxing walks and quiet repose.

Tropical gardening in Costa Rica

Since we’ve stated this adventure, I’ve found very little information about gardening and horticulture practices in Costa Rica that has been useful to me. I find stuff that is too technical or in Spanish, or not specific enough for the eco-system my area.

I’m looking forward to experimenting with tropical gardening and I intend to share practical tips about what I learn.

Solrisa – Under the Laughing Sun

Although website for solrisa-costarica.com has not been created, you’ll soon be able to see our enchanting property and the lots we have available in our community. Stay tuned.

No comments: